CARE IN WINTER
- Clear any leaves covering drains.
- Check gutters are not blocked with leaves, bird nests or grit from roof tiles. Clear any blockages.
- Secure or replace any loose roof tiles.
- Prune and cut back nearby trees to reduce the risk of falling branches.
- Repair gates and fences to protect against damage from storms.
- Check your damp course is free. Clear away any debris or piles of leaves that may bridge your damp course.
- Check the timer on your central heating is working properly.
- Fit lagging to your pipes, tanks and cisterns to prevent freezing.
- Make sure your loft insulation is thick enough and in good condition.
- Check and fix any dripping taps.
- Make sure you known where your main stop cock is, so you can shut off the water supply if there is a flood.
- Locate your fuse box and ensure you have spare fuses.
- Make sure you know how to switch off the mains supply if necessary.
- Keep a torch and batteries in an easily accessible place.
- Grease hinges and stays of windows that are likely to be closed most of winter. This will prevent them siezing up and rusting over winter. It will also make easier to open them again in spring and summer.
- Click here to see how to cut home heating bills.
To add an entry, request an existing one to be altered, or report a dead link, please click here.
Return to Top
(c) Compiled by B V & T M Wood.